All of the lighthouses within a day’s drive of Apalachicola Bay have a rich and interesting history. Keeping a functional lighthouse in Gulf County is a part of the maritime history of the entire Forgotten Coast. As erosion on Cape San Blas has worn away the Stump Hole area, it has also taken the part of the Cape where Eglin AFB once had a facility for conducting training excercises out in the Gulf of Mexico. Across the parking lot from a seaside building on pilings, stood the iron lighthouse first erected in 1885 along with the keeper’s house, the assistant keeper’s house, and an oil house.
Not long after this picture was taken, the training building washed away, leaving just the pilings were pelicans rested between hunting forays. Soon it became clear that the lighthouse itself would soon be in peril of falling into the sea. Still in servicable condition, it was determined that the historical buildings should be moved lock, stock, and barrel to George Core Park in downtown Port St. Joe. Ducky Johnson housemovers were contracted to do the job, and on July 15, 2004 a caravan proceeded from the Cape destined for PSJ.
Here’s a video of the parade as is passed along Hwy 98 near the Constitution Museum: